How to properly define and apply typography rules in CSS.
normal value on a
line-height property in CSS is calculated as 1.2x the font size; e.g. a font size of 16px will have a
normal line height of (1.2 * 16)px = 19.2px.
When setting a defined line-height, use the
em unit to set it relative to the current
1.5em is the most common line height for copy.
- The longer the line length, the taller the Line-height should be.
- The shorter the line length, the shorter the Line-height should be.
- Use a taller line-height with continuous copy.
- Use taller line-heights with large x-height fonts.
- The ascenders and descenders of the lines of text should not touch.
- Place the lines close enough together that the reader requires no effort to find the next line, then balance the height based on the line length.
Last modified: 202107020519